papukaijat • suoranokat • kaijuli.fi

0 jäsentä ja 1 Vieras katselee tätä aihetta.

Cockatoo breeders - Helsinki?
« : 08.05.12 - klo:10:26:45 »
Moi!

(Please pardon my use of English, I'm afraid my Finnish is not up to standard yet. :()

My partner and I are looking to buy a hand-reared baby; preferably a goffin (tanimbarinkakadu) or sulfur crested cockatoo (kultatöyhtökakadu) after my previous experience with the two species I doubt we could handle anything larger. We've attempted to call local pet shops and searched for cockatoo breeders in the general Helsinki area, but haven't had much luck with either. I've also heard that some of the larger/all species require a permit here (?) but there are conflicting opinions on this with some stating that the smaller species of cockatoo don't require a special permit.

So, we would be very grateful if anyone could direct us toward some breeders in Helsinki (or surrounding areas) and help clarify the permit 'issue?'

Many thanks,
Jessinka. 

Re: Cockatoo breeders - Helsinki?
« Vastaus #1 : 08.05.12 - klo:10:47:16 »
Lainaus
I've also heard that some of the larger/all species require a permit here (?) but there are conflicting opinions on this with some stating that the smaller species of cockatoo don't require a special permit.

Basically all CITES I species require a permit, but the seller is responsible for getting it (though you're going to need the permit if you'll place "want to buy" ad). Cacatua goffini is listed in CITES I appendix, so it requires the permit.

CITES treaty is actually international treaty and as far as I know, it should be handled somewhat similary accross Europe. I'm not sure about other countries though.

We have CITES I species listed in our website (also contains scientific and English names):
http://www.kaijuli.fi/tietonurkka/papukaijat-ja-cites/cites-1-lajit

Lainaus
We've attempted to call local pet shops and searched for cockatoo breeders in the general Helsinki area, but haven't had much luck with either.

Pet shops quite rarely sell bigger parrots "from the shelf" (and it's also our associations stand that they shouldn't), but some might order directly to buyer from breeders from Germany etc.

But at the moment I'm not aware of any breeder that would have the species you're looking for in the Finland. Most likely you would need to search from Sweden or Germany if you want to buy younger parrot. This is still so small country that the amount of breeders is quite low, thus amount of different species available is also quite low.

Lainaus
My partner and I are looking to buy a hand-reared baby

Hand reared parrots are all the time harder to come by, at least from Finnish breeders. Hand reared parrots seem to be more prone to different behavioral problems and there really isn't need for it if you want a tame pet parrot. So people are leaning towards more natural way of breeding parrots and parent rearing.

Re: Cockatoo breeders - Helsinki?
« Vastaus #2 : 08.05.12 - klo:10:50:55 »
There arent any cockatoo (family-cacatua) breeders in finland at the moment. There were few breeding pairs couple of years ago but at the moment the pairs in finland arent breeding so if you want a cockatoo you must conatct foreign breeders for a chick. But you should consider a parent reared bird since your life with a parent reared cockatoo might be a lot easier and with a lot less complications than with a handreared one.

There are breeders in sweden and in denmark for example so you could try finding your bird from there... good look finding a new baby too.
CAG Ukko, MA Rapa, YNA Nooa, SM:t Clara & Lawrence